Sometimes—especially when cherry tomatoes are fresh—there is nothing better than a quick red sauce. Here's a delicious and easy recipe for our tomatoes:
1 pint cherry tomatoes
• Dump the cherry tomatoes into a pan. The pan should be small enough that the tomatoes are a bit crowded and deep enough that you can olive oil without overflowing.
• Add olive oil. Add your olive oil ( this is one of those times that really good extra virgin olive oil makes a big difference ) to the tomatoes. Don't submerge, but fill enough so it looks like they're soaking.
• Sprinkle with some kosher salt.
• Cook over medium/medium-high heat. Don't stir them. Let them just do their thing. You will see them start to collapse and get soft. Make sure the heat isn't too hot during the process. Then just wait for the smell. You'll know they're ready when you start to smell the sweetness of the tomatoes and olive oil in the air.
• Take the tomatoes/olive oil combo and pour it into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour it back into the pan and viola!
This is a great sauce for summer. Here we've used it over layers of grilled eggplant and mozzarella—